– Are societal buildings ( non biological worlds )
– Form footing for categorization systems
– Based on sensed similarities
– Often hierarchal ( one valued over the other )
– Specific topographic point in ranking is related to wealth. power and length of service in topographic point
– Neither are based in biology/genetic difference
Cultural Groups-Groups within society that show alone cultural traits: linguistic communication.
faith. culinary art. etc.
Panethnic Groups: Class or grouping of related cultural groups: Euro-Americans ;
Latino American. Asiatic Americans. etc.
What are minorities?
– More or less wealth determines minorities. Groups who are singled out for
differential intervention. They exert less power and have fewer resources.
– They have worse life opportunities
– Minorities include:
oPeople with disablements
US ETHNIC Grade
– Euro- American Protestants
– Euro-American Catholics. Jews and many Asian-Americans
– “Racialized” groups. including African-Americans. Hispanics. And some Asiatic
Bases of Hierachy
– Discrimination ( how the authorities treats you ) /Prejudice ( single dainties
Measures of integrating
– Integration ( abode. instruction. exogamy )
Income ( money you are doing and non old money ) . and wealth ( the value of your
assets minus the value of your debt )
– US has 5 % of the world’s population and 25 % of the world’s inmates
– In the 198-s. US became more punitory ( Crime rates did NOT rise )
oPolitical political orientation ( “tough on crime’ )
oLegislative alterations ( three work stoppages. compulsory condemning guidelines.
‘war on drugs’
oPrivatization ( private industry is about net income ) of the prison industry
Felon VOTING RIGHTS
-Vary by province
Kentucky has the strictest. Most punitory Torahs
( requires the governor to reconstruct the right to vote on a instance by instance footing )
Disenfranchising weakens democracy
Low income and minorities disproportionately lose voting right.